I updated my Pre emulator to the 1.3.5 SDK, only to notice none of the Internet applications worked. I searched and found one post by a guy on Stack Overflow with an incredibly unhelpful answer of RTFM (which, TFM does not even apply here).
I spent some time and figured it out. So, if you run into this problem, solve it as follows:
Log into your emulator via novacom:
$ novacom -t open tty://
Show the network routes (note the default gateway):
$ ip route show
/etc/resolv.conf and change the line there to the same one as the default gateway.
$ vi /etc/resolv.conf
NB you may need to remount the filesystem as readwrite. I forget if this is the case.
My resolv.conf was 10.0.2.3, when it should have been 10.0.2.2. If you’ve never used vi before, press “i” to begin edit mode, then when you’re done, press the ESC key, and then press “ZZ” (upper case z twice).
You should notice your Pre emulator suddenly has network access again.